If you own a swimming pool, it is essential to maintain the water for your comfort of use, but also for the durability of your equipment. Indeed, the external elements, just as your own presence in the pool affects the balance of water. However, it is possible to adjust it with the help of a set of mechanical and chemical techniques.
Understand the equilibrium of water
The equilibrium of the water in your pool depends on three parameters:
- the Ph or Hydrogen Potential indicates the concentration of hydrogen in the water. It is measured on a scale of 0 to 14. 0 represents a very acidic water, 14 the most basic water, while 7 is called neutral pH. The ideal for a pool is between 7.2 and 7.4, especially to avoid damaging liners and polyester coatings and tiles. It must be regularly checked using a photometer or water analysis kit and adjust if necessary,
- the TAC or complete alkalimetric titer is the rate of bicarbonates and carbonates in water. It is related to Ph. If you observe large variations of Ph, it may be from the TAC.
- The TH or hydrotimetric title is used to measure the hardness of water. It gives the overall behavior of water in magnesium and calcium, that is to say the presence of limestone in the water. The index must be between 8 ° and 20 °.
The mechanical water filtration process
The water treatment in your pool is mainly done by the mechanical filtration process. Indeed, to avoid the harmful effects of stagnation, the pool water is constantly “moving”. The method may vary depending on the type of filter you use, but in general, the filter pump will suck some of the water through the pipes and piping. It will then bring it to the filter that will clean the water from dirt (soil, insects, etc.) and return it through the discharge nozzles. It is therefore essential to maintain the filters, but also the mechanisms of your pool.
The various water treatments
To complete the maintenance of the pool and maintain the quality of the water, it is possible to treat it with different chemicals:
- Chlorine remains the water treatment solution most used by individuals. It is a disinfectant, algaecide (prevents the appearance of algae) and oxidizer,
- Bromine also has disinfecting properties, the effectiveness of which is less dependent on variations in pH and temperature than chlorine. It is also algicide and it purifies the water by killing the germs as soon as they appear; Namely the bromine is incompatible with the chlorine it will return a yellow water.
- The hydrogen peroxide or treatment with the Active oxygen has a great oxidizing power against micro-organisms such as viruses, bacteria and micro-algae.
- PHMB or polyhexamethylene biguanide is odorless and insensitive to Ph and UV variations. It is bactericidal, germicidal and fungicidal. On the other hand, it is not algicide, it is therefore necessary to use an anti-algae product in addition;
- Electrolysis is an automated treatment of water that uses salt to clean your pool. In a simple way, the electrolyser will transform salt into sodium hypochlorite, a kind of chlorine by the supply of electrical energy.
Less aggressive treatments
If you want to use more natural methods, other types of treatment of less aggressive water exists:
- The hydrolyser is a device allowing the hydrolysis of water and residual copper ionization. Copper has the property biocide, so it is a very good algaecide and bactericidal. It is a much more environmentally friendly process than chlorine or other chemicals.
Hydrolysis is the process by which the water molecule dissociates into various elements as a result of the application of electric current to producing the hydroxyl ion. Hydroxyl has an oxidizing power 3 times higher than hypochlorite of soduim, more effective than ozone and active oxyene !!
- UV radiation devices (Type C) destroy immediately, without environmental impact, the micro -organisms (bacteria, viruses, algae).
- The ozone treatment is very efficient against bacteria, germs and viruses. It turns out to be twice as powerful as a chlorine treatment while being more natural.
Some water treatments need to be supplemented by the use of other substances to be fully effective:
- Algae proof products help prevent the appearance of micro-algae or destroy them if necessary.
- Limescale proof products can prevent the appearance of limestone in your pool but also its mechanisms.
- Clarifiers can fight against cloudy water or even milky.
- Antiphosphates helps fight against phosphate residues in your pool.
- Flocculents are used to improve the performance of your filter and make it easier to clean the water.